What became the international women's fraternity of Delta Gamma was founded by Anna Boyd Ellington, Eva Webb Dodd and Mary Comfort Leonard in 1873 in Oxford, Mississippi, at the Lewis School for Girls near the University of Mississippi.
The early growth for Delta Gamma was confined to women's colleges in the South. Within a few years, Delta Gamma was established in the North and then later expanded to the East. In 1891, Delta Gamma was one of the seven charter members of the National Panhellenic Conference when the first inter-sorority meeting was in Boston.
As the population moved West, so did Delta Gamma. What began as a club in the South soon became an international fraternity in both scope and thinking as Delta Gamma established itself not only in the United States, but also in Canada. Through the years, goals and achievements have grown as Delta Gammas continue to live by the motto set forth by the Founders, "Do Good." Delta Gamma’s colors are Bronze, Pink and Blue. The symbol is the anchor, and the Delta Gamma flower is the Cream-Colored Rose.
Delta Gamma Crest
Delta Gamma Symbol: The Anchor
Delta Gamma Flower: The Cream Colored Rose
Delta Gamma became a part of the University of Texas in 1938. In February of 1938, the First Vice President of the time, Mrs. J.W. Bingham, came to Austin. By this time, the alumnae had been working on the situation of possible pledges. She entrusted the colonization project to Miss Josephine Staab, as alumna from the Tau chapter who was then on the faculty of the University, as local chairman. Mrs. Bingham left with the framework for the colony to be established.
Although the colonization project was put into motion and spirits were high, there was a lot of work to be done. Under the direction of Miss Stabb and her committee, the group of interested girls swelled its numbers to fourteen carefully selected girls and a patroness to be the charter members. The Beta Eta chapter of Delta Gamma was officially chartered on April 21, 1939. The colony was very honored that every member of Council attended the Installation proceedings. The presentation of the charter by the national President marked the official birth of Delta Gamma at the University of Texas.
The newly organized Delta Gamma chapter took steps to set up a Building Corporation and select a suitable lot for a chapter house. The corner of 25th and Rio Grande was chosen. The lot was purchased on October 2, 1940, and construction began April 1, 1941.
In 2002, Beta Eta became the 9th Delta Gamma chapter to raise the funding necessary to bring the Delta Gamma Values and Ethics Lectureship to the University of Texas campus.
Beta Eta raised $50,000, which was matched by the Delta Gamma Foundation. On November 19, 2002, Beta Eta presented a check of $100,000 to the University. Delta Gamma is the first Greek organization at the University of Texas to sponsor a lectureship of this kind. Beta Eta today continues to play a positive role in the University of Texas community. Beta Eta continues to earn many Order of Omega Awards, including the Order of Omega Chapter Excellence Award. This particular award is given to the most outstanding chapter in all of the University of Texas Greek system.